AWS has recently announced updates for AWS Certified Solutions Architect exam (Released February 2018) for teaching architectural best practices and will cover all new services. You can take up the old version exam or the new version exam as of August 12, 2018. In the updated exam you need to study 2 whitepapers namely ‘Architecting for the Cloud: AWS Best Practices’ and AWS Well-Architected webpage (various whitepapers linked). There will be multiple choice and multiple response questions. It will have a total of 65 questions that need to be completed in 130 minutes. At present, it is available only in English. The practice exam fee is 20 USD and the final exam fee is 150 USD.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate (Released February 2018)
A person performing solutions architect role can take up this exam. It proves the ability of the candidate to demonstrate effectively the knowledge for architecting and deploying secure and robust applications on AWS technologies.
It proves the candidate’s ability to:
- To assess the customer requirements by defining a solution using architectural design principles.
- The best practices to the organization are utilized in providing an implementation guidance which is applied throughout the life-cycle of a project.
AWS Knowledge that you will acquire:
- A year of hands-on experience in designing fault-tolerant, available, cost-efficient and scalable distributed systems on AWS.
- A complete experience in using storage, compute, database and networking AWS services.
- A Complete experience with management services and AWS deployment.
- The technical requirements for an AWS-based application can be clearly identified and defined by candidates.
- The candidate will be able to identify which AWS services match a given technical requirement.
- The candidate will have a complete knowledge of recommended best practices for building secure and reliable applications on the AWS platform.
- A candidate will have a complete understanding of the basic architectural principles of building employed in AWS cloud.
- The candidate will have an in-depth understanding of the AWS global infrastructure.
- A complete knowledge of network technologies in relation to AWS.
- A complete understanding of tools and security features which AWS provides and their relation to traditional services.
Some important things to ponder for you:
How long will be the original version of the exam valid?
For a period of six months from the release date of the new version, the old or original version of the exam will be valid, until August 12, 2018.
How is the new version the ‘AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate exam (Released February 2018)’, different from the old version?
The ‘AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate exam (Released February 2018)’ denotes the changes in the ‘Solution Architect’s’ role since the original exam was launched four years ago and this latest exam is based on the new exam guide.The pillars of the Well-Architected program are reflected in the new exam guide, which is developed over the past several years.
Which version of the ‘AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate exam’, I should attempt for?
You must decide, depending on when you began your preparations for the exam. The latest version ‘AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate exam (Released February 2018)’ has its own exam guide, preparation exams, sample questions and other resources for preparing for the exam. Likewise, those people who are already preparing for the old version of the exam can continue their study using the related exam guide, sample questions, preparation exams and write the old version exam within August 12, 2018. For people, who have not yet started their preparations can start studying for ‘AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate exam (Released February 2018)’ and use the related resources.
Why hasAWS released an update to the program?
As time progresses, the AWS platform will also evolve, change and advance and hence, the study material and the exam pattern needs to be updated accordingly if the certification needs to be relevant to current job tasks and hence the new versions for the exam are released periodically.